Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sock it to me!

I almost pulled out of last night's run. I really didn't want to do it, but the other half was going, and while I suppose I could have refused to go, I ended up dragging myself round the five mile route. That was completely different from what my schedule claimed I should do, but what the hell, I'll try and stick to it more from now on. Its just hard when it says I should do just a few 90 second sprints, even though I know it would do me good, because unless I run at least a few miles, I don't really feel like I've achieved anything. No such problems tonight though; it recommends '6M Steady'.

Anyway, the five miles was completed in 41 minutes. Which means 8 minutes and 14 seconds to do a mile. I'm not sure if I've managed to find a pace that I could run 13.1 miles at yet. The pace at the end of the run felt good, but I don't know, I'm starting to stress so much about the damn half marathon that I'm half wishing I'd never entered it. The other half cheerfully assures me that after I've run the race I'll look back and wonder what I was worried about. I hope he's right.
While I was out in the USA in July, I bought a couple of pairs of Nike Shox Socks (try saying that when you're drunk - or exhausted). Yes, this was at the same time I bought the demon Air Max 360s that stuffed up my feet.

Anyway, the socks are lovely. Padded and seamless on the inside and nice and cool. And, it would seem, not sold in the UK (here, regular Nike running socks are betwen £7 and £10, although you can probably find them for a bit less in places other than Niketown). But hurrah for eBay, where I managed to find someone selling Shox socks, and not charging an absolute fortune in postage. I was quite delighted to win the auction, beating off fierce competition from another bidder (who cheekily bid a whole dollar more than me), and landing the socks for $7 a pair inc. postage (much cheaper than regular socks here).

You know its bad when you get excited about some socks. I must be getting old!

No comments: