Wednesday, August 23, 2006

"Rain, rain, go away..."

The rain kicked in about 3pm, and it didn't stop. I don't mind a 'light drizzle', but this was more like a monsoon. Still, the '6M Steady' was on the schedule, and I remembered a quote from Bill Bowerman. He'd said "There's no such thing as bad weather, only soft people," and if I'm going to be serious about running these races, there's no point wussing out when its a bit wet.

So we went, and we did the run. It was actually 6.61 miles, but I hate running 'laps', so its a case of working with the routes we've got, and we managed to do it at a steady speed, mostly. I like running with the other half - I don't need to worry about any of that 'lone woman runner' safety stuff because I'm not running by myself, and I've got someone to help spur me on when I don't want to go...but we run to keep up with each other and its very easy to find our speed slowly increasing until we've gone from 'steady' to 'fast', and have to slow down again.

Today's speed was 6.84 miles per hour (8 mins 46 seconds to cover a mile). Thats slower than I want to do Grunty Fen (I'd like to go more for 8 mins - 8 mins 10 seconds per mile), but for a 'steady run' I reckon it was okay. Mostly I'm getting a kick out of the fact that we ran in the rain; it makes me feel optimistic that we'll be able to keep running when the weather gets really bad in autumn and winter.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

I actually enjoy running in the rain better than the sun. I'm weird like that. My husband calls me a vampire.
Anyway, your times sound great, good job!