Thursday, August 24, 2006

It's all in the mind...

Not an especially good day running wise.
I'm still fretting dreadfully over the half marathon in September, and spent far too long playing with the numbers on the Race Time Calculator over on the Runner's World site, and ended up convincing myself that I would be looking at a time of two hours minimum to do the run...and getting quite depressed about it

When did I start getting so obsessed about what time I would run? I know when I started I was happy with just the thought of getting round successfully, but now its become about time too, which is dumb because I haven't even managed one race yet. So whatever time I manage will be a PB, and heck, just to finish will be good, I know. So why can't I remember that more often?

Today's schedule was a speedwork session. 90 seconds fast, 90 seconds recovery. I've still not got a watch that I can use (I'm planning to get one on Saturday), so instead we ran laps round the park - half the lap fast and half slow. It felt like roughly the right amount of time. I'd been feeling very grouchy about doing it; I wanted to do a 'proper' run (our 8.1 mile route) as fast as possible to see if I could match last week's time.

In the end though, the other half won and we ended up doing the speedwork. I was surprised by how hard it was - stupidly I thought it would be easy and now I'm worrying about my level of fitness as well as everything else. Oh, I do hope other people are right, and in just over a fortnight I'll re-read this and laugh. Right now, I'm not convinced though.

Tomorrow is a 5 mile run, I think, and then cross country on Saturday. That'll be interesting, I've only ever run on roads.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Ha, you're starting to get competitive with yourself. I think every runner gets that way when they start seeing so much improvement. Try not too worry about it so much though. One of my best friends is so bad about beating everyone else and every PR she has that she's always riddled with horrible injuries...yet still runs. *sigh*