Monday, August 21, 2006

Too much, too soon?

I've been saying I'm going to run Grunty Fen, the Great Eastern Fun Run (both half marathons) and the Hellrun for what seems like ages, but last night saw me put my money where my mouth is for Grunty Fen and the Hellrun, and fork over the cash, an event which was quickly followed by a minor attack of panic as theres no way I can get the money back so I really do have to go through with it now.

But despite that, I've found myself looking for other runs to do. Theres a local half marathon the week after the Hellrun, but I'm not sure if that'll be too much too close together, although by that time I should be able to do 13 miles on consecutive weekends, I guess. Then theres another half in December (despite my early reassurances to the other half that we wouldn't do any runs in December), and even one on Boxing Day (but I'm not sure if I want to do that). I can't help wondering if its a good thing to be planning what races to run when I've not even done one yet, but I guess I'll try and hold off booking anything else until after Grunty Fen so at least I have more of a feel for things.

Tonight should be a five mile run. I'm following a training plan from Runner's World, but I'm impatient and want to run further than that; now that I'm back into it, I like doing at least my 6.5 mile run, and I can't help feeling that the plan is too easy and maybe I should be looking at the 'advanced' schedule. But there again, by the time the weekend rolls round I'll be doing 10 or 12 miles, and with my knee being slightly iffy, perhaps I shouldn't try pushing it. I guess maybe I'll just play it by ear (or knee!) and see how it goes when I'm out there.

No comments: