Saturday, August 19, 2006

...but what if I come last?

For what its worth, we managed the 8.1 mile run in 65 minutes. That works out at 8.07 minutes to run a mile. I'm pleased enough with that - I did a little bit of speedwork in there (a sustained sprint as fast as I could) which wore me out more than I bargained for so my speed dropped for the last couple of miles. If I could run all 13 miles of a half marathon at that pace, I'd be looking at a time of 1 hr 44 minutes. Allowing for me to get tired, though, and my speed to drop over the latter half, I'm reckoning 2 hours. That wouldn't be too bad.

However, I've not run a race since school, and I'm really quite nervous about it. I'm really quite scared of coming last. Apparently, its not all that bad, according to an article on Runner's World...and I guess someone has to come last. I just don't want it to be me.

It's worrying me quite a bit, and I'm hoping that as we build up the distance leading up to the race, I'll start to feel more confident, otherwise I'm just going to be a bag of nerves come race day.

For some reason, the run really wore me out, and I found myself in the Tate feeling dizzy and faint. I did manage to get to see the piece that I wanted to see, as well as Lictenstein's 'Whaam!'. 'Whaam!' was a bit of a let down though. I've seen the piece so much in reproductions that the it simply had no impact any more. It seemed like other people felt the same - visitors strolled past it without even looking (but then, maybe thats what people are like on a Saturday). Down in the Tate's shop, they had a whole range of tat...sorry, 'products' with 'Whaam!' on, from notepads to mugs and a two part poster of the piece. I found it strange; after all, 'Whaam!' had been in their storage for years, why didn't they bring it out earlier if it's worthy of making such a fuss over?

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by!
By the looks of your times, I would say you need not worry about coming in last. Looks like you're doing great!

Fat Girl said...

Hi,
I love the headline of your blog where you say "One way or another, in April 2007, I'm going to run a marathon." I am going to finish a half-marathon in January the same way!
While I was growing up, there was a radio commercial in our town for a car dealership. They wanted you to bring your cars for trade-in. They said that it didn't matter in what condition your car was. They used to say "We'll take ANY car. It doesn't have to be a good car. We'll take anything you can PUSH, PULL, SLIP, SLIDE, DRAG OR SHOVE"
That's how I feel about my half in January. I am going to finish. You may have to push, pull, slip, slide, drag me or shove me, but ONE WAY OR ANOTHER I'm going over that finish line!

Good luck to you. I love your blog.

Sincerely,
Victoria

Fat Girl said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to say this. About coming in last, you probably wont, but I agree, last is unacceptable.

If you see that you are...pretty close to the finish line...like within the last quarter mile, you'll be near someone...just say a quick prayer to be forgiven and then just reach out and trip the guy next to you! Make sure you do it hard. It won't give you much time, and you'll probably come in next-to-last, but at least you won't be dead-last.

Pretty good ideah huh? :-)